Reporting to - The Vice-Chancellor and Principal
Place of work: Njala University, Njala Campus
Master’s degree in Library Studies; must have served as Senior Librarian or in an equivalent position for at least ten years in a university/college Library with proven evidence of research and publications.
Role of the University Librarian:
The University Librarian will serve as the executive administrator for both Libraries in the campuses.
The University Librarian will oversee collection acquisition and development, budgeting maintenance and formation of national and international partnerships, Library services, physical space, information technology adoption and development and strategic planning. The ideal candidate will be a collegial, visionary, experienced leader, with the proven ability to manage, develop and forward the strategic vision of an academic research library, while successfully implementing operational details and managing staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- University Librarian will be involve in campus scholarly life, forming relationships with students, staff and faculty across the undergraduate and postgraduates schools
- Ensuring that library services meet the needs of particular groups of users (eg. Staff, postgraduate students, disabled students)
- Collaborate with the University leadership and with deans and heads of department to prioritize and focus future library development
- Promoting the library’s resources users
- Managing budgets and resources
- Selecting, developing, cataloguing and classifying library resources
- Answering readers’ enquiries
- Develop IT facilities
- Supporting independent research and learning
- Assisting readers to use computer equipment, conduct literature searches etc
- Ability to manage subordinates well
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to relate to public well
- The ability to embark on research and publications
Method of Application:
If you would like to apply, send an up-to-date CV and a covering letter, which should include summary of the reason why you would like to be appointed and the qualifications and experience you will bring to the University together with three referees. Alternatively, you can also apply online at: email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org OR Use the Job Application form to apply. Please note that 10th March, 2021 is the closing date.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Please send the names, address and contact numbers/email addresses of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted