Prof. Herbert Borbor Kandeh
Former Pro Chancellor and Chairman of Court
East End Municipal School, Freetown 1954-1960
Albert Academy, Freetown 1960-1967 A levels
Fourah Bay College 1967-1971, B.A. Hons; Geography
University of Pennsylvania 1974 M.A. 1979, Ph.D. Demography
University of Michigan, (USA), 1973, Survey Sampling
University College London (UK), 1977, Social Research for Development
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (UK) 1984/1985 AWARDS
- He was Chairman, Moyamba District Council 2012 -2017.
- He graduated from Fourah Bay College, University of Sierra Leone in 1971 with a First Class Honours degree in Geography.
- He was awarded the College Prize, Durham Prize and Anglo-Sierra Leonean Society Prize in 1971.
- He has a Ph.D. in Demography from the University of Pennsylvania in 1979. He worked at Njala University for 23 years (1971-1994) and rose to the rank of Associate Professor.
- He was Regional Electoral Commissioner, Southern Province. for the INEC in 1994-1998.
- He was Associate Director, African Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, 1999-2000.
- He was President of the Union for African Population Studies (UAPS) from 1999 to 2003.
- He was the first Statistician General of Statistics Sierra Leone (2000-2005) and Chief Census Officer for the 2004 census (post-conflict). He was then appointed by UNFPA as Chief Technical Advisor Sudan Census (2006-2009), Botswana (2009-2011). After retirement in 2011, he became Adjunct Professor at Njala University and have been undertaking short consultancy missions on census management in Gambia, Uganda, Mozambique, Swaziland, Kaduna State in Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Pakistan. He was awarded the Grand Commander of the Order of the Rokel (GCOR), Sierra Leone in 2007