The Institute of Languages and Cultural Studies (INSLACS) - located in the School of Education - was established in the 2004/05 academic year in place of the former Department of Language Education. The overall mandate of Institute is to teach, carry out research and undertake outreach tasks as can be provided for by the disciplines therein. More specifically, we enable students to maximize their competencies in each of the disciplines in view of the international bench-mark.
INSLACS comprises two units: (i) the Languages Unit, which teaches the disciplines of, English, Linguistics, French and Indigenous Languages (ii) the Cultural Studies Unit which teaches the disciplines of Literature, Performing Arts as well as Creative/Practical Arts and Development Communication.
In process is an upgrading of the curricula of two media-based disciplines in the Cultural Studies Unit: the Performing Arts will be upgraded to Theatre and Performing Arts; Development Communication will be elevated to include the Bachelor of Arts degree. The upgrading is to address emerging issues of national and global concern:
- the growing tendency of youth to criminality, possibly relating to drug abuse and recurrent political violence
- the threat of international terrorist groups which strive to capture youth populations into their ranks;
- the general moral disengagement observable in society, by which people tend to hold social vices such as corruption, violence and general dishonest, as acceptable patterns of behaviour.
- Enabling youth to use their natural talents in a guided way to reach economic self-reliance.
- Ph.D. in Linguistics
- Ph. D in Literature
- M. Phil in Linguistics
- M. A. in Descriptive and Applied Linguistics
- M. A. Literature
- B. A Education (Linguistics/Literature)
- B. A Education (Literature/Linguistics)
- B. A. Education (English)
- B. A. Hons. Linguistics
- B. A. Hons. Literature
- B. Ed Creative Practical Arts
Certificate and Diploma Programmes
- Teachers' Certificate (Creative Practical Arts)
- Higher Teachers' Certificate Primary
- Higher Teachers' Certificate Secondary
- Certificate in Development Communication
- National diploma in Development Communication
- Higher National Diploma in Development Communication
Programmes awaiting approval
- B. A. Theatre and Performing Arts
- Ordinary Diploma in Theatre and Performing Arts
- Higher National Diploma in theatre and Performing Arts
- B. A. Development Communication and Journalism
A good first degree and a good masters degree from any recognized institutions of higher learning are required for the M. A., M. Phil., and Ph.D. programmes respectively.
Undergraduate and Non-degree
B.A. [Hons] (Duration 4 years): Students are to be invited into the honors programme based on academic performance in the first year of study.
B. A. [Education] (Duration 4 years): 5 credit at GCE 'O' Level/WASSE Subjects including English Language and Literature in English
Certificate in Development Communication Programmes: Two GCE 'O' Level/WASSE. Good work experience in the media industry is accepted but the candidates are encouraged to sit to the WAECE examination later.
|NO||NAMES||GENDER||QUALIFICATIONS||AREA OF SPECIALISATION||REMARKS|
|1||Dr. Saidu Challay||M||B. A Ed, M. A, Phd||Linguistics|
Peter M. Muffuh(Acting Director)
|M||B. A. Ed, M. A. Ed, M. Sc. Dev Studies||Literature|
Abu Bakarr Sheriff
Saidu F.D Sesay
Aiah James Sandy
Aiah Frank Mbayo
|M||B.A, M.A Lit.||Literature|
|9||Michael A.S Jabbie||M||Htc,B.A,Dip Ed.,M.A Ed||English|
Albert A. Trye
|M||M.A Ed.||Performing Arts|
P.Y Thulla Dr.
|12||Albert F. Combey||M||B.A, M.Ed.||Linguistics|
|13||Dr.Smb Senesie||M||P.Hd,M.A,B.A Ed.||Literature|
|14||Josephus K.LLbbie||M||B.A Ed.,M.A||Linguistics|
|15||Daramy James B.W||M||T.C, Htc(S), B.Ed, M.Ed||Creative Practical Arts & Education|
Lansana James K
|M||T.C, Htc, B. Ed, M.Ed||Creative Practical Arts|
|17||Wandoh Ernest Richards||M||T.C, Htc, B. Ed, M.Ed||Creative Practical Arts & Education|
|18||Harriet Yeanoh Jones||F||M.A, B.A, Dip.Ed.||Linguistics|
|M||M.A. Pad, B.A. Hon Mass Com, Dip Mass Com||Media Communication||Part Time|
|M||B.Sc. Ed, Mba Executive, Dip Communication||Media Broadcasting||Part Time|